We make use of quite a few pieces of equipment and machinery that are run using a battery. Often, when the battery fails to function in an optimal manner, the performance of the equipment also drops down. As a result, you face the need to replace the battery, which can be rather expensive. However, there is one easy way via which you can make your battery provide you with an impressive performance and that too without having to pay a lot of money. It is battery reconditioning that can make things easier for you. So, let’s talk about some important battery reconditioning tips.
Reconditioning a battery involves repeated charging and discharging of the battery, which leads to the breakdown of the voltage depressions within the battery cell, thereby restoring the reusable albeit lost battery capacity. Thus, you will find a significant increase in the battery performance once you recondition it.
Things to Keep in Mind:
Before you proceed to make an attempt to recondition your battery, there are certain things about the process that you ought to know. For one thing, many people tend to confuse recharging with reconditioning. This is far from reality. Recharging leads to the battery restoring its charge for just a limited period. On the other hand, with reconditioning, the battery manages to be restored to its full capacity.
- Most of the battery types can be reconditioned, from deep cycle batteries to 12V car batteries. New car batteries can also be reconditioned by making use of the standard lead acid battery reconditioning measures. Different techniques can make things easier for you when it comes to reconditioning, so it is advisable first to acquire some information regarding the battery types that are available on the market and how you ought to handle them so as to bring about an improvement in their lifespan. A little bit of information can make the process of reconditioning a whole lot easier for you.
Also Read: Hybrid Battery Reconditioning
- One thing that you will need to pay exquisite attention to while reconditioning your battery is safety. Make sure that all safety measures are in place before you commence with the process. For instance, if you are reconditioning lead acid batteries, you will have to work around acids that can be dangerous. Therefore, a lot of care needs to be taken.
The Method Follow:
The steps that you need to perform for the purpose of reconditioning are common techniques that one can get the hang of with ease.
- All that you need to do is go through a little bit of trouble to learn them, and you will be able to save tons of money that tend to go in the purchase of new batteries. It also leads to the improvement of the environment since the hazardous waste from batteries that are thrown away is reduced. Hence, you also play a role in reducing the waste in the environment by reconditioning your batteries.
- One thing that people often tend to confuse about is how to determine if a battery is healthy or in need of some work. This depends on the type of battery that you want to recondition.
- Let us shed light on how lead batteries function so that you can understand how to recondition them. When lead plates are immersed in sulfuric acid, a reaction occurs that leads to the generation of electricity in the automotive lead acid batteries. It also leads to the production of lead sulfate. If you recharge a healthy battery, the lead sulfate converts back to lead and sulfuric acid. On the other hand, if the battery is drained, the lead sulfate undergoes a change to a crystalline form that serves to form a coating on the lead plates of the battery, thereby leading to a reduction in capacity. This process is called sulfation and is the major reason due to which lead acid batteries fail to perform their function.
- For the purpose of reconditioning, you need to reverse the sulfation. This is done by making use of a specialized high current that leads to the breakdown of the crystalline lead sulfate and cleans the plates, which inevitably restores the charge capacity of the battery.
Different Types of Batteries:
Battery reconditioning serves to enhance the lifespan of your battery while providing you with an economical option. All batteries, irrespective of their type, tend to witness a decrease in performance over time. This is true for laptop batteries, car batteries, and all other types that you can find. A battery will witness a decrease in performance, but the timing when this will happen varies. This depends on the quality and type of battery you make use of. Let us provide you with an overview of how you can recondition various types of batteries.
Reconditioning Batteries of Car:
It is important to follow battery reconditioning tips to ensure your safety. If you are contemplating doing this on your own, the first thing that you need to do is take proper safety precautions. There is a possibility that you come into contact with the battery acid. This can lead to skin burn as well as ruin your clothes. Therefore, it is advisable to get your hands on some profound quality of neoprene gloves before you start the process. Similarly, make use of a durable apron to provide protection to your clothing. It is not a bad idea to opt for safety glasses as well. You might feel that this is a bit too much, but keep in mind that when it comes to safety, one should not take any chances or make any compromises.
You should perform battery reconditioning process in open air. We recommend you to do it in your garden or backyard. Apart from the safety gear, you need a battery charger, Epsom salt, distilled water, funnel and a baster to complete the process. It is also important that you are familiar with different battery reconditioning methods. Make sure you follow battery reconditioning tips and step by step guide to complete the process successfully.
Battery Reconditioning Tips for Laptop:
Laptop batteries tend to be rather expensive. This is especially true if the model is old. Therefore, you can save a large amount of money by reconditioning the battery. The first thing that you need to do before you start reconditioning is to understand why the battery is not providing you with optimal performance.
- If your laptop battery is not giving you enough battery backup then it means there is something wrong. May be you need battery reconditioning to make sure you get better battery life. How long a battery should last is something that you can find out from the battery monitoring system. There are different battery monitoring softwares which you can use. With this monitoring system, you will be able to find out how long the battery manages to last and how long it should have lasted.
- Different laptops have different types of batteries. This depends on the brand and model among other things. Thus, it is important to make sure you use the battery that is suitable for your laptop. Furthermore, all laptops would not attain benefit from the reconditioning process. This is in fact one of the most important battery reconditioning tips. An example is a laptop using lithium-ion battery. Hence, you should first find out the type of battery that powers your laptop. This will allow you to check if battery reconditioning is possible or not.
- Reconditioning a laptop battery is a quite simple process and does not take long. All that you need to do is change the power settings and charge the laptop battery completely. Unplug your laptop, let the battery discharge and then charge it all again. You should then reset the settings. Make sure that you take all the safety measures before starting the process.
- If the battery is broken, too old, or not suitable for the laptop, reconditioning would not provide you with any benefit. In this case, the only option is to buy a new battery.
Following these battery reconditioning tips you will save both your time and money.
It is easy to get carried away when it comes to reconditioning batteries since the process does save you quite a bit of money. However, make sure that you do not throw caution to the wind. It is essential that you first acquire all the information about the battery, its mechanism of working, and the reconditioning process before you move ahead. Follow battery reconditioning tips to make sure you start on the right page. Make sure you are familiar with method. So, you end up in achieving success with battery reconditioning. Reconditioning is a beneficial process; just make sure you do not allow it to bring any harm your way. Also, make sure reconditioning will provide benefits before starting with the process, lest you end up wasting your time.